Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Hispanic Society of America






On the day before my last day in NYC, I ventured out to see the Sorolla exhibit at the Hispanic Society of America on West 155th street. There was talk during my class at Studio Incamminati about Sorolla's ability to paint light, and I wanted to see it for myself.

The Hispanic Society museum is a small, old museum with a fabulous interior, as you can see in the top photo. The second photo is a painting of Sorolla's. I was in awe of how large his paintings were, and how he could hit just the right highlight with one swish of the brush.

I couldn't resist taking a photo of the Duchess of Albuquerque's tomb, seen just above. I adore the mix of prayer and passion in Hispanic culture. When I went to Spain, I felt drunk on gold and God. I remember a bar next door to a cathedral in Barcelona where the logo on the cocktail napkins was a happily drunk bishop being held up by two angels.

No comments: