Thursday, November 3, 2011

Grand Central





When I worked in the theater industry, all those years ago, I learned my lesson the hard way that when the show you've been working on for 15 hours a day opens, you are out of work.

We all went separate ways when we lost work. I stayed in touch with one friend from the costume shop, Michael, who found work as a gardener for a fashion designer. Michael was one of those people who comes into your life and out of your life suddenly, but watches over you in that time between. I was young, awkward, covered in acne, and had lost my job and my boyfriend all at once. He was fabulous, older, gay, and seemed to know everyone who was anyone, but he also noticed me.

In that breakup stage where crying is all over your face, he took me out for drinks on the balcony at Grand Central. He chose Grand Central because he wanted me to see how many people come and go, and to comment on what they were wearing as they did so. By the end of the night I could feel expansion within my depression, and I've never forgotten him for that.

I wanted to return to that memory and that place, and in gratitude to an old friend, draw the people that passed by.

No comments: