Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Hovsep Pushman





More images from the Rubin. The monks photographed from a video look like they're still moving to me, and bring to mind a beautiful movie called "Unmistaken Child." The painting just above is a modern interpretation of an ancient form by a contemporary painter from Tibet.

When I went to Taos for the open studio and demos with Sherrie McGraw and David Leffel, Sherrie gave a presentation on abstract realism and I was stunned by the work of Hovsep Pushman. His images of Asian still lives are so much like the ones in my mind that I see but don't know how to paint. Sherrie pointed out that Pushman used very little color to give the illusion of a lot of color.

It's incredible when you discover something that deeply resonates, something that has existed for some time apart from you, but has been within you all along.

No comments: