Sunday, November 13, 2011

Black and White






Black and white cookies are quintessential NYC to me, and I'd been searching for one since I'd arrived. It was harder to find than I'd expected. More and more, old school NYC seems to have been pushed out of Manhattan to its edges. It wasn't until I arrived at this Greek diner in Queens, walking back from the Noguchi Museum, that I found one.

Black and white? Light and dark. Again and again. In painting and life and even cookies. The nervous system...externally oriented, pathways of light. The cells...internally oriented, spacious, dark.

Together, cellular consciousness and nervous system consciousness constitute a continuum, with the brain informing the cells and the cells informing the brain, each being peripheral to the centrality of the other. In other words, when one's consciousness is centered in the brain, the cells are peripheral or in the unconscious; when one's consciousness is centered in the cells, the brain is peripheral or in the unconscious. They can also be integrated into a single consciousness or both remain in the unconscious.

-Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen

No comments: