Friday, December 5, 2008

Tag


I've been tagged by Nathalie Davis, who I met in Carol's painting class. This means I have to write seven interesting things about myself, and tag seven other bloggers. Unfortunately, while I know there are tons of other daily painting blogs out there, I haven't had a spare moment to look at them. So, that part of the assignment will have to take a different twist.

1) The first interesting thing to come to mind is the fact that there's a part of me that can't draw, and is shocked by the part of me that can. "Can't draw" (CD) is even miffed by the desires of "Draw" (D) to do so. Part of the problem is that CD is the one who is forced to show up first, with his stiff and awkward lines. D sweeps in later, when she wants to, dancing onto center stage, shoving CD to the sidelines. But he is always terrified that she won't show.

In the many years where I didn't draw at all, I would look at illustrations, or paintings in museums and feel something, but that something felt inaccessible, until the conversation finally went like this:
D: You know, I feel like I could draw that way. I know I don't know how, but I feel it inside.
CD: Yeah right, if you could, you would've by now. Why don't you just pipe down and let me pay these bills! Dreamer.
D: I'll show you.

The daily practice of this blog has helped D prove that she could, and has helped CD trust that she will actually show up. And because CD starts every day as promised, with his stiff, awkward line, D shows up earlier and more reliably to whisk him through the dance.

In honor of the two me's, today's tag goes to Ann Wood. I discovered her blog a long time ago when I googled my name. I love her work, and always felt good that there was a version of me out there making wonderful things.

No comments: