Monday, December 29, 2008

Absinthe


Nine out of ten customers that walk in the store ask where the smell of licorice is coming from. It's actually these little boxes of absinthe pastilles from Italy, they really pack a punch. There's a lot of scrolling Italian writing on the front, but I think the eyes alone say all there is to know.

I love the mix of charcoal pencil and gouache on this particular cream colored watercolor paper. It was an accidental discovery on the day I just grabbed what was in sight to paint "Messy desk". Since I've been drawing on location I decided to stick to the same media for simplicity, and it's become soothing. I've also been loving these quieter post holiday days. When I was young my mother used to say her favorite month was January, and I just didn't get it. "January? But there's nothing going on in January." Exactly.

No comments: