Sunday, December 7, 2008

Fairy circle


3) One rainy afternoon when I was about seven, my mother came home from her jog and told me she saw a fairy circle growing in the field next to our house. A fairy circle is when mushrooms grow naturally into a ring. I put on my yellow rain coat and green rubber boots, and set forth. When I found the perfect circle of twelve or so mushrooms, I got lost in thought about which fairy would sit where, what they would talk about, and where they might be hiding during the rain.

I was jolted from my misty daydream by a beat up car that swerved on the road and slammed to a stop to toss a Budweiser can out the window before it sped away. As the can tumbled just a few yards from the fairy circle I turned and ran as fast as I could back to the house. In the slow motion silent way that fear works, I heard only the slosh of my rubber boots pounding on the wet pavement. And as I ran I felt this knowing. A knowing that life was going to be like this, an interplay between fairy circles and tossed beer cans, and the challenge would be staying on the center path and remembering your way home.

Today's tag goes to the Glass Doorknob. I discovered this site when it was featured on "Blogs of Note". The author recently moved to Vermont and I think she would delight in the discovery of a fairy circle.

No comments: