Monday, December 8, 2008

Shiny mini


4) The very first celebrity I ever sighted was Madonna. I was eighteen years old and it happened during the freshman day trip to Manhattan. I was with my best friends Jen and Ilira, in a tiny jewelry shop in Greenwich Village that specialized in rings set with eyeballs. After Jen said "Excuse me" to pass the woman in front of her, she whispered "Um, I think that was Madonna" in my ear. I exited the store, with rolled eyes and a "Yeah, right", to see a stretch limo and a circle of body guards. We raced back inside with excited giggles, it WAS her. With short blond hair and a biker cap (her "Papa don't preach" phase), buying a ring set with an eyeball.

This was a very big deal to a girl whose teenage years were spent accessorizing her flannel shirt with fishnets and pearls. And it may help to answer a question. I haven't worn this black patent leather mini skirt in twenty years. Why can I not get rid of it?

In honor of best friends from college, I introduce to you Ilira and Jason's company, Rag and Bone. Jason has a great blog that features their beautiful hand bound books, family, and other fabulous artists. When Ilira and I were seniors, her mother took a trip to see her best friend from college. She said she hadn't seen her in fifteen years. We didn't understand how that could possibly be possible, and knew that would never happen to us. Now, despite our good intentions, its been years since I last saw Ilira. Which leads to another question. Reflecting on long distance moves and very busy lives, I can see how it happens. But how does it happen?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dearest Friend,

Jason found your blog and lead me to it (he lives in that world and I do not) I am going to pour over every post to get a glimpse into your world and see all the beautiful things you make.

I remember all those days like they were yesterday - I think a visit to see you is in order.

You are always in my thoughts,

Ilira

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.