Thursday, December 11, 2008

New handbag


7) I'm not quite sure what "grown-up" is supposed to feel like, or when it's supposed to happen. I pay bills and taxes, show up to work on time, and even save for retirement. Is that it? It's just that I always thought it had something to do with having everything figured out. I remember when I was young, there was so much about grown ups that I didn't understand. And now that I am one, I still don't. Like, why do we have to sit so much?

When I found the golden egg thirty seven years ago, my mother showed me how to open it (turned out it was a Hane's panty hose egg). Inside was a five dollar bill and a Hershey's kiss. But what I remember was that they all had equal value. I simply held three shapes in my hand. And the shape I loved most was the panty hose egg, the first thing I would toss if I found myself holding the same three shapes today.

When I see a model on TV, my first thought is not that she's twenty years younger than me, but that she's twenty years older. Which leads to my new handbag. With the grown-up-ladies-handbag-look not feeling quite right, I found it to be the perfect compromise. I think it's the one a fairy would've picked if she had to be human.

Well, there you have it. Seven interesting things about me as told through objects around the house. I'll send off with the work of Maxwell Loren Holyoke-Hirsch. I just love his illustrations and woodcuts of vases. And I'll guess that he too struggles a bit with juggling worlds.

No comments: