Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Chocolate almonds


Dark chocolate covered almonds, dusted with cocoa. 

I've really been struggling with light, or lack thereof, when I do my daily drawing. It's amazing how much light affects a painting. Light is a painting. It's the difference in values that create a form. When I draw at night I need light on both the object and the paper, but using two lights creates scattered shadows. Daylight is perfect but it changes so quickly, and I don't often get to draw midday when the sun is fixed high in the sky.

I had to photograph this drawing outside while it was snowing this morning because it was the best lighting I could find, but the quality pales in comparison to the scanned images. The frustration and mystery of light. When I get back to Albuquerque I'll scan these images and post them again.

No comments: