Saturday, April 21, 2012

Virgen de la Soledad





I couldn't wait to explore on the day after I arrived and before my class began. A few blocks down the hill from Hotel Azucenas is the beautiful Basilica de Nuestra Señora de la Soledad. I felt very drawn to the Virgen de la Soledad, the patron saint of Oaxaca. It was one of the first places I wanted to return to.

I love that she is called, not "Loner" or "Spinster," but the Virgin of Solitude. With a radiant crown of gold and encrusted with diamonds, her quiet presence illuminates the Basilica. I love too that there are bands and dancers and parades, pilgrimmages and prayers in her honor. Ice cream and elote is sold just outside, and intertwined teenagers make out passionately on the Basilica's steps.

People turn to her for miracles, o
r understanding, or maybe simply to be heard. Reflection and celebration, I love how it all whirls together, these elements that make life whole.

The photos I took of her did not come out, adding to the mystery.

No comments: