Monday, April 23, 2012

Solexico



I studied Spanish at a small school called Solexico. The way we learned at Solexico is the way I like to learn. A few students and a teacher sitting around a wooden table, door open to the courtyard outside. Breaks were real and relaxed, and you knew they were over by the ringing of a big metal bell. Our text was nothing more than a spiral bound workbook. It felt good to just learn the language and not have to struggle with technology.

My classmates were from Germany, Australia, Switzerland, and the US. Around the wooden table we would get into conversations about life and things. One time when our Spanish conversation turned to cheese, and what was the kind with holes, we all said "Swiss!" as the student from Switzerland shouted "Emmentaler!"


One of my favorite teachers was Hugo, who told us to truly listen to what locals were saying. He said that foreigners tend to get fixed in a way of saying something, when there is actually a more natural translation being spoken all around them. He pointed out that at the school cafe, students always use "Me gustaria" (I would like) when they want to order something, while the teachers and other locals use "Me regalo" (Gift me) or "Me vende" (Sell to me).

He told us never to say "Please take me to..." when speaking to a taxi driver, as it translates to asking for more than a ride. Use llévame a (carry me to). He said that lo siento, which most beginners use to say "I'm sorry," is actually a very serious sorry, while disculpe is usually more appropriate for average sorriness. I still feel drawn to using a serious sorry when what I want to say is, "I'm sorry for destroying your beautiful language."

There are answers all around you, escuche, escuche (listen, listen), Hugo would say.

No comments: