Thursday, April 26, 2012

La Bilingua



A block away from Solexico is Cafe La Antigua, a great place for an after school snack. I love Oaxaca's chocolate caliente, hot chocolate mixed with cinnamon and chile. It went perfectly with crepes drizzled with cajeta, a goat's milk caramel.


I ran into Deborah and Cheryl, my American classmates, one afternoon at the cafe. I told them about a Spanish class I took in Albuquerque, where, during a break from a particularly difficult lesson, I turned to a classmate, wide-eyed, and said, "Spanish is HARD!"

"It's terrible!" she said. "I'm 67 years old and I've been struggling to learn it for years. But I'm not giving up. I will be damned if my gravestone doesn't say, 'Here lies Donna, she was bilingual.' "

My new classmates loved that story and when we exchanged emails at the end of the class, Deborah signed underneath her name, "La Bilingua."

No comments: