Friday, April 27, 2012

Librería Grañen Porrúa




I adore the Grañén-Porrúa book store. It's a blend of my favorite things; art, books, beautiful design, and good food. I often did my homework in the cafe after school with a cup of te de manzanilla. Pictured above is a tlayuda; made of black beans, quesillo, and avocado, on a corn tortilla baked on a clay skillet, ordered here without the lettuce and tomato that make tourists nervous.

I love the sculpture and paintings and prints made in Oaxaca, and things made of clay and wood. The contrast of colors, festive and bright, earthy and deep, and the courtyards made of stone and light. When you first arrive in Oaxaca it feels like a city of painted walls. Soon you find yourself stepping over thresholds into the open spaces and secret gardens behind those walls. I loved the courtyards, the feeling of being both inside and outside at once.

Inner worlds, outer worlds.

No comments: