Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Retirement


"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up". -Pablo Picasso

You got that right, Picasso. This is a picture of me, taken in the 70's, lost in a creative project. As of today, "Anne Woods' Daily Art Works" becomes, "Anne Woods' Occasional and Who-knows-when Art Works", until life shifts and changes again.

Last summer, at Studio Incamminati, I chatted during a break with a classmate named Sharon. She told me it was her dream to do the full time program at the Studio. I asked her what was holding her back.

"Well, I'm 60", she said.

"But you would only be 64 by the time you finished!" I exclaimed. And then when I'm 60, and have the same fear, I can think to myself, well, Sharon did it, so can I.


How do artists do it? How do they make it happen in the years between childhood and retirement, without marrying a software engineer or having to live on a scrap of bread?

I made a promise to myself to make a piece of art every day for one full year. I did it. I now make a promise that I will be a full time, highly successful artist, making things I love to make, before my retirement years. I will do it. I WILL.

Thank you all SO much for reading my blog, and for all the comments, feedback and encouragement you've given me throughout this year. I truly appreciate it and I will be back!

2 comments:

Jason said...

But you did it! I don't know why you often write about what you wish to be. Your life is a travelogue, an envious freedom. I see it. Ilira sees it. You have so much to give and have given and will still give and share. Your art is everyday, you live it, you don't just make it. I wish you luck, but you already have what you're looking for. It's just a matter of comparison. BTW: will you come visit us again? You're a good role model for Faye, who also wants to be an artist.

Nancy LaTurner said...

I hope you'll come out of "retirement" even if there's no time for a drawing every day. A few words/thoughts would be an awesome gift.