Sunday, August 2, 2009

Grandma's house






After a couple days in New York I took the train to New Jersey where I met my mother, aunt, and uncle to go take care of the things in my grandmother's house. Did I not say it was the theme of my summer? It was of course bittersweet, wonderful to be with family though, lots of laughs at old stories, the discovery of yearbooks, report cards, school projects.

I was taken with how involved both of my grandparents were with making things. My grandfather had maps of the garden, each year documenting the yield of every vegetable. My grandmother did stencils, decoupage, and calligraphy, amongst many other things. Her specialty was stained glass. Her maiden name was "Lyon" and I've loved that sign in the dining room since I was a little kid.

No comments: