Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Freeze



In the midst of the post travel blues, I developed a way to help myself move through "The Freeze." The Freeze happens when you want to want to draw but you just can't. There is nothing to draw, you're uninspired, you know the only way through hell is to keep going, that a body in motion stays in motion, but still.....you're frozen. You surf the internet hoping the day will just go away.

What I did was copy some of Sherrie's drawings, on large pieces of newsprint, and very fast. It helped because I didn't have to think of what to draw, I could feel the feeling of a quick and confident line, and I could start to understand what choices she was making to create drawings that I loved. This drawing warm up led me through the darkness and into drawing the bosatsu.

No comments: