Thursday, August 20, 2009

Horned One


Louie and I felt that the kachina should have a name. We decided on "Horned One"

I have a difficult announcement to make. One that I've been procrastinating about in hopes that something would change. Something like suddenly being able to thrive on two hours of sleep, or winning Powerball. Soon, I will no longer be able to offer daily art works. I'm starting school again on Monday, but I'll be taking double the credits that I've taken in previous semesters. It was already a struggle to try to do it all. It is my last year of school, I simply have to get through this.

I've thought of all kinds of options. I now know for certain, after hearing it for years, that the most important key to growth as an artist is to do a little something every day. I thought, maybe I could just scribble on the busiest days? But I've come to a place where I want show pieces that I feel are well done. I want to put in the time a good drawing deserves, and I don't have it.

When I started this blog I wanted to see if I could make art every day for a year. I did it! I'm incredibly proud of that. I posted every day, more than 90% of the time I made a drawing or painting. Originally, I wanted to learn how to oil paint. That never happened. It makes me sad to think my life is so busy it was impossible for that to happen. The oil paints are still lined up on my shelf. I know that I'll get to them someday.

I want to spend entire days painting and drawing. I have so many images flash through my mind, so many mediums I want to experiment with. Sometimes it was hard to post the one piece I had time for. Often it felt like I was showing a warm up, and had to stop because of time constraints, just as I was tuning into the enormity of the iceberg that lie beneath.

Over 365 seeds have been planted. I know what I've done here will grow, even if I can't tend the garden every day right now. My long term goal was to become an OT so I could support myself as an artist. It hurts that I still have so many hoops to jump through, and I can't spend more time making art right now.

I've decided to keep the blog up and running, and will post when I can. Still daily, for a little while, and then I'll see how it goes from there.

No comments: