Monday, August 24, 2009

One peach


Aagh, it's day one of school, let the overload begin. I'm going to miss my blog and sketching so much. I have a lovely walk to school now, about 15 minutes, where I find myself noticing all kinds of details. Is that tree a blue green or yellow green? If I were to remodel that house would I choose red trim or turquoise? I never knew cactus could come in so many shapes and colors.

It reminds me of the story of a disciple who mentioned to a monk that she had studied Japanese tea ceremony. The monk asked her to share tea with him but she said she hadn't brought any tea tools. The monk replied that they should share tea whether they had the tools or not. They sat at the edge of a dock and enjoyed a beautiful tea ceremony using nothing, not even tea.

So, I'll continue to make art on my walk to school, using nothing. It's what I have to work with right now. I really enjoy what I'm learning at school, it's not that I don't want to be doing it. The frustration comes in feeling that I'm artistically on the cusp of something, and I want so much to give it my full attention. It doesn't even feel as if I'm trying to juggle different aspects of my personality, but as if I'm being pulled between the desire to live two very full lives.

This peach comes with a promise. That one day it will be art making that gets the majority of my day. It has waited so patiently.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Ever since that day that Blogger randomly sent me to your blog I've been checking in. I have enjoyed and (will continue to enjoy) joining you (although mostly silently) on your journey. What you have done this year is so inspiring and the stories you share always resonate. So thanks. Best of luck with school. And I'll definitely keep checking in!