Friday, August 21, 2009

Diane's bird


I noticed this bird right away, just moments after entering my grandmother's house. I knew the exact shop it came from in Takayama, Japan. It's where I bought the monkey I drew in September. Did I send it to her? I didn't remember doing that, I was sure I didn't.

We realized that my Aunt Diane must have bought it for her during her own travels to Japan.
My aunt, Diane Itter, was a very talented and prolific textile artist. I remember hearing how she loved Japan, and had won grants to study fabric dying techniques there.

I love the thought that we both found our way to Takayama, high in the mountains, both wandered down the narrow streets filled with dark wooden storefronts. The patterns on these animals caught our eye, drew us into the same store, where we both bought one to send home to our mother.

No comments: