Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Terminator


These are small drawings Rob did with Verithin pencils on treated paper. Two materials that can be used together to create an "Old Masters" look. One thing we learned about, that is so fascinating to me, that I can see works though I don't entirely understand why, is the terminator.

At the point where light meets shadow, shadow is darkest, creating a line called the terminator. The reason this fascinates me is that the mind does not think so! The mind thinks dark goes to light like a value progression, and you can see it often in beginner drawings. A mushiness
occurs in beginner drawings because shadows fade to light without a terminator. It's a bit hard to see on these tiny drawings, but you can see it best on the man's arm on the drawing underneath. A dark line, the terminator, separates shadow and light.

How could I be surprised, when it is so often darkest before the dawn?

No comments: