Friday, September 2, 2011

Chowder and Hope





I remember the day I sat at the counter at Reading Terminal and had chowder for lunch. It was a day I was in despair. No matter what I learned or how hard I tried, I just could not rise up from the streaks and mud of oil paint. The chowder helped a bit, and after getting lost in the delicacies of Reading Terminal, I found the courage to go back and try again.

Later that night, I came across this, in one of the handouts we'd received during the course. It's an excerpt from the book: A Way of Seeing and the Spiritual Search for Visual Truth in Painting: The Teachings of Hensche, Hawthorne, and Chase, by Barbara Faulkner, PhD.

Richard Kelso believes that the lifelong "learning curve" of the painter means that every day the painter gets out of bed knowing "they're going to get whipped that day". For him, the daunting prospect of daily failure is balanced by hoping and imagining "that one day you're going to be able to paint well.
"

No comments: