Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Tattooed Lady, Looking Back


That same neighbor, I didn't know him well, but his sister was in my class. Our families both lived not far from the elementary school. The school bus though, ran in a huge loop, dropping us off last before returning to its starting place.

Each day, at the end of school, as the bus pulled out of the parking lot and up the hill, I was faced with a choice. I could wait on that bus for an hour to get dropped off right in front of where I wanted to go, or get off in the beginning of the loop but have to take a
long, hot, arduous walk down the dirt road toward home.

Ride and wait, or go and struggle.

One time, my neighbor's parents came driving down the dirt road in their station wagon and we kids all jumped on top of the hood. We rode on top of the hood like that, squinting our eyes through the clouds of dust until we were carried to the end of the road.

Sometimes there's an unexpected way out, a way you hadn't thought to think of.

No comments: