Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Madame Cézanne in a Yellow Armchair, a study


I love Cézanne's portraits. I don't know why they're not as famous as his still lives and landscapes. I continue to marvel at how much information artists leave out when they paint. How did they choose what to leave out and what to put in? How do so few marks make a face? And I know there are rules about contrasting colors, angles, perspective, and composition but I've never been able to see that type of thing well enough to analyze it. Do they plan that or is it something that happens subconsciously?

Last night as I was falling asleep this part of a Rumi poem flashed in my mind, "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there". It dawned on me that the field is the objective witness.

No comments: