Friday, April 24, 2009

Manet Study study


Drawing master paintings is a humbling experience. This is a copy of a preliminary study by Manet for his painting "Luncheon on the Grass". I chose it because I preferred its loose style over the finished painting. I love how a great artist can make a blotch of paint become an eye. After trying to copy that I realized that the blotch must be exactly the right value, in exactly the right spot, for it to work.

I was thinking about my dream art school. In the mornings from 8-12 there would be formal drawing and painting lessons, paying attention to detail. The afternoons would be about feeling, forgetting the detail, collages and Japanese calligraphy. Over time the two would naturally merge and enhance each other. And you would get paid to go to dream art school. Paid for your efforts in trying to bring more beauty into the world. What a dream.

No comments: