Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The End


This project was created using my postcard collection, things around the house, and by traveling to those places around Albuquerque where I see glimpses of Japan, whether they're really there or not. It was created in one 14 hour day, including trying to sketch fish at the aquarium surrounded by screaming school children. Sushi from Whole Foods, the beautiful Japanese garden found at the Albuquerque Botanical Gardens, and Noda's in Rio Rancho for lunch.

It is dedicated to the many Sakura-san's I've had the great honor to meet in my travels, like Ikeda-san in Japan, Kakada in Cambodia and Anabel in Oaxaca. Unexpected new friends that have shown me their country even while knowing we would probably never see each other again. And it is inspired by all the individuals I've met in the last year who have had strokes, broken hips, multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, and Parkinson's. Those who have learned how to travel through life in ways other than they might have originally planned.

I've been back from my real spring break for almost two weeks now and mired in assignments and exams. It's been such a comfort to think of my other self out there dancing under the cherry blossoms.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Thank you so much for the beautiful journey....It was fun to decipher how you were conjuring up the feeling and sights of Japan - finding them in your every day world. It was like a life-collage! Thanks for sharing it!