Thursday, April 9, 2009

Green Tara sketch


In Boulder I discovered the Shambala Center. I loved meditating in the shrine while listening to the heavy clumps of snow slide off the roof as the the sun overtook the blizzard. I bought this statue of Green Tara, she's the goddess of universal compassion, the Buddha manifested in female form. I long to find a span of time to work on a more detailed full figure drawing of her.

Speaking of time limitations and artistic struggles, I wanted to share this excellent piece on creativity by Elizabeth Gilbert. She wrote Eat, Pray, Love. It runs about 18 minutes so go make yourself a cup of tea and watch. She offers such great insight into the creative process and tells how the way modern society views art ultimately destroys the creative spirit. I love when she talks about Tom Waits who finally turned around to tell his Muse to wait until he stopped driving before sending him beautiful music to write. And that's what I have to tell my Muse now. "Can't you see I'm in graduate school?! Please don't give up on me.......please wait."

No comments: