Sunday, February 1, 2009

Five red buttons


I wanted to try drawing on a new surface, without having to leave the house to buy something, so I turned to one of the old books I use for collage. I told myself I had to draw on whatever page I opened to. I was pretty lucky to land on this one. Even though the two subjects don't really go together, I do like the way one is very small and one is very large and my eye goes back and forth between them.

The two opposites somehow remind me of stillpoint. Stillpoint is when you are moving either very slow or very fast, and everything becomes still. In the deep stillness of meditation, an ant passing by appears to be moving very fast. The Whirling Dervishes spin so fast that everything becomes still. 

I was thinking about the downturn in the economy, and how it has affected so many. Not just realtors and car salesmen, but pecan growers, horses, and antique shops. With that thought, and last week's post about longing for the times when I had time, I set forth to an antique mall that I hadn't been to in a very long while. I was on a mission to stimulate the economy and see how many things to draw $30 could buy. This piece is the first in a new short series called "Antique shop, and a thought".

No comments: