Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Chinese pincushion


I found this pincushion at the antique shop. I drew it on a page from an old book of Chinese art. It's good to have my pupils back.

In the next few weeks I plan to start learning how to oil paint. My limited experience with oil painting has been frustrating. It's very hard to control and is so....oily. But I've always thought it was something I wanted to learn. I can either discover that I like it, or never have to do it again. This week's step is to take my drawing table out of the box. I need an area specific to painting so I don't get paint on my homework. Murphy's Law says that if I finally set up the table and start painting, the house will sell and I'll have to take the whole thing apart again. 

Anyway, I'm announcing all this here so I will actually do it. I have fear about presenting this learning process, like the fear I had when I started this blog. But this quote by Georgia O'Keeffe helps, "I've been absolutely terrified every moment of my life - and I've never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do".

1 comment:

Kate said...

Wow. Fear. I can really relate. I feel fear every time I post a blog entry. But I keep telling myself that I have no idea how my words will go in to other's ears...what they might do (or not) for people. We have no idea who we will touch or how...

I love that quote by Georgia O'Keeffe. And I look forward to joining you on your learning journey!