Monday, October 10, 2011

Mint Lemonade


I adored this day. Moving slowly from heat and post workshop fatigue, sipping mint lemonade and seeing Buddhas in windows. It was a quiet, remembering, meandering toast to my 22 year old self.

When I moved to NYC after graduating,
I showed up to my interviews in all black, a borrowed skirt and shoes from my roommate. Again and again people bumped into my enormous portfolio as they rushed past. That portfolio was way too big for the streets of New York. What is it about school where they don't tell you basic and important things?

As I wandered slowly, sipping mint lemonade, thinking about the me that showed up at random addresses with my life's work in a too large case, all I could think was, "Man, that was brave."

More and more I realize how bold it is to just show up. To show up when you don't know what you're doing, to show up when you don't know where you're going, to show up to this blog when I don't know what to write, or even what the point is. Show up, just show up and something will carry you to the other side.

No comments: