Friday, October 14, 2011

Marble Lady



I like that I captured the quality of marble here, especially in the hair and torso. The whole time I was drawing though, there was something that frustrated me and I couldn't figure out what it was. There was a sensual calm to the model that I wasn't capturing. The torso seemed too short, the leg too long. What was it?

After I finished the drawing I made another quick sketch, and found it wasn't the length of the leg but the angle that was throwing me off. Not a significant difference, but one that made my drawing look a bit like she wanted to get up and go somewhere, while the original sculpture seemed content in her seat.

These are tiny details that no one would notice if I hadn't mentioned it, but I can't resist solving a mystery.

No comments: