Thursday, March 5, 2009

Trauma Reflex


The Trauma reflex is a protective reflex. A muscular cringing around a point of injury, it's a reaction by the sensory-motor system meant to guard against pain. It can happen anywhere on the body but unless it happens in the center it will be seen most easily on one side, which can affect walking and balance.

I observed Louie to see if I could identify any of the aforementioned postures, and this one was quite recognizable. I knew he had chronic pain in his right leg and it turned out that he'd bashed his knee into a rock while reeling in a fish when he was 13. The trauma reflex presented itself clearly. It's been fun to watch people standing in line at the grocery store and notice which stress reflex is most prominent. Drawing practice has sharpened my ability to see where things are out of alignment.

Hanna, in his book Somatics, describes exactly how to train the voluntary motor system to wake up and override these reflexes. Through simple and gentle exercises, done with awareness, it is possible to reverse the functional deficits that so many think are the inevitable signs of aging.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Okay! I'm hooked. I just ordered the book from my library so I can read it. And last night I was watching "Burn After Reading" and George Clooney did that "senile" pose exactly -- right after something really stressful happened. This is so interesting!

Anne Woods said...

That's great! It really is an eye opener. It amazes me that information like this isn't better known, since so many people suffer from the aches and pains of aging. I hope you enjoy the book!