Thursday, May 9, 2013

Fifty





















It's my 50th post, which means I'm halfway through my project of drawing 100 heads. When I started this project in February, I wondered what it would be like now in May. I'd hoped for long afternoons of drawing portraits but I can barely find the time for quick gestures. It turns out that having a day job, running your own business, and being an artist is a lot to do at all once. This project has become less about learning how the frontal bone relates to the nasal bone, and more about how to keep drawing at all in the midst of modern life.

I've become less afraid of drawing faces, however, and now find them the first place I go instead of the place I most try to avoid. I still feel the panic, during life drawing sessions, of seeing a face and thinking "I don't know how to draw that!" but the difference is that now I try to draw it anyway, despite that feeling. And then I come here and post them despite how I may feel about that too. It brings to mind Brene Brown's amazing TED talk on the the power of vulnerability, a reminder to myself in those times where I think if only I had the time, I could really be good at this, to just keep going, keep drawing, keep posting, wholeheartedly.

1 comment:

Tara C said...

its not easy to face your fears and you are doing it.
Tara