Saturday, January 24, 2009

Movie Star


It was one of those days where time stood still. No, not still exactly, but moved at an angle. Time shifted at an angle different than most other days. We saw the first showing of "Revolutionary Road" this afternoon, it cut straight to the emotional bone. From the theater we drove silently down Central until we reached the end of the road, eating lunch at a BBQ joint at three in the afternoon. 

A yellow silhouette against the dark blue sky, the Sandia mountains looked like a cardboard cutout on a movie set. Eating lunch at three in the afternoon, far off the edge of my beaten path, reminded of the days when I first moved to Albuquerque fifteen years ago. How I had so much time then, and loved exploring the city that was so unlike where I came from on the East Coast. Old neon, antique shops, diners, remnants of Route 66. I'm in awe of how writers and actors and artists can do that, cut straight to the emotional bone, reminding you of how things used to be this way, or could have been that. The movie made Louie sad, which he reacted to by feeling angry. I told him that was a great example of what I just learned about the insular cortex. It's the part of the brain that tells us how we feel about what we feel.

No comments: