Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Lanterns on receipts





Yesterday I stopped for a ginger matcha latte at The Teahouse in Santa Fe. Determined to keep up with my daily drawing I brought my art supplies along. It sounds romantic, but it's actually quite a pain to carry art supplies on your wanderings. They're heavy, and you always have that feeling that you're supposed to be doing something more than just being.

Expecting to sketch a tea cup or a honey jar, I was so excited when I looked up to see many paper lanterns in different shapes and sizes. I was thankful I had my art supplies then. I'd thought of everything, colored pencils, eraser, pencil sharpener, and a little bag to catch the pencil shavings from the sharpener. When I realized I forgot to bring paper to draw on I nearly flew off the handle. But I heard a whisper, "Is-ness, is-ness. Remember?". Then I realized I could draw on the old receipts stuffed in my purse.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I'm stuck at work (in the cube) and was clicking on the "next blog" feature on blogger. It's nice to stumble on your blog. I love those pictures of the lanterns. Dark and light and happy. And I love your post on the "art cart". when I was in school and it rained we got to collage. My heart would start to race when the teacher pulled out the scissors and magazines. It was heaven!

crochet lady said...

I stumbled across your blog and loved it. What an interesting concept - daily art. I like to think I add a little bit of art everyday in how I live, what I say, what I cook, write, sing or love. I have a little art/craft fix weekly as I plan a childrens' story time and craft to go with it. I'm glad to have this little opportunity to be a kid. Good luck with your daily art.