Saturday, May 5, 2012

El Duende




Remembering Nick Bantock reminded me of what he told us about el Duende. Unlike the Muse who flits about, alighting on us from above and inspiring at her whim, el Duende is a deep creative force, a fire that burns up from the ground.

A fire to be stepped into. It comes up through the souls of our feet and burns within us as a creative passion. We are not merely touched by an angel, we become the channel and the chimney through which the fire rages.    -Nick Bantock

I feel them both, absolutely. Sometimes it's the Muse, who loves to show up while I'm trying to get other things done, like taking a shower or putting away the dishes. Sometimes it's el Duende who rises up, forcing me to create fearlessly while shaking from inside. Often though, it's plain old me, who, while wondering where everyone else went and if they're coming back, has to just keep going.

No comments: