Friday, May 4, 2012

Cartas de Artistas



The museum has an impressive collection of letters and stamps, meticulously cataloged and arranged in pull out displays. I was thrilled to find letters written by Frida Kahlo. I love that the one shown above is sealed with a kiss from her famously lipsticked lips. I'm fascinated by the part of the letter I can read, which says something like, "If Diego asks you why I didn't go tell him it was because..."

So much of what we know about artists, their inner worlds and inspiration, comes from the letters they wrote. The letters written between Georgia O'Keeffe and Alfred Steiglitz, or Vincent van Gogh and his brother Theo, are beautiful and revealing. I wonder how the loss of letters will affect our understanding of an artist's history and inner world. How will an artist's biography look different due to passwords and delete?

No comments: