Sunday, August 21, 2011

Green Lanterns, Chinatown




In the Spring, in the height of the falling apart, I had a dream. In the dream, I jumped onto a small boat that was cruising along at a smooth but high speed toward a meditation retreat. I was in a deep state of bliss, my bare feet gliding over the turquoise green water.

Every now and again I would jolt awake, flooded with fear. "I have no shoes! I didn't pack any bags! I have no money! I don't know where I'm going!" But the bliss would overtake, and I'd fall back into the dream.

I found myself on a tuk-tuk, riding through the streets of an Asian city, moving at the same smooth but high speed. There were bicycles swerving all around. Someone who loved me, found me. His hands grasped hold of the back of the tuk-tuk and he trotted along at the same pace. Then the bicycles turned into Nascar race cars, we began to move at top speed, he fell behind. I found myself alone, on a city bus.

At a smooth but high speed, in a deep state of bliss, alone on a city bus. I didn't know where I was going, when I was getting off. Moving through tunnels, past tall buildings and city lights. I sprang up and turned quickly when I saw through the window a stone statue of the Virgin of Juquila from Oaxaca . "How could she be here, no one knows her here!", I thought. But by the time I turned my head to double check, we were too far along, and she was already gone.

I fell back into the boat, my bare feet gliding over the turquoise green water. At a smooth but high speed, in a deep state of bliss. We passed stone Buddhas and Egyptian statues rising out of the water, silently calling, "This way" and "Yes." We arrived at an ancient hotel on a small island. The other passengers were unloading their luggage. Heavy suitcases, bolsters, meditation cushions, eye pillows, and those circular things that go around your neck.

I jolted awake, flooded with fear. "I have no shoes! I didn't pack any bags! I have no money!" I didn't know where I was going. I just went.

1 comment:

Nancy LaTurner said...

I love that you just went, "at a smooth but high speed, in a deep state of bliss," even without shoes, bags, money, or knowing.