Saturday, June 20, 2009

Pots


I would love to plant something in these pots but I can't because I won't be around to water them. I'm heading to Philadelphia to take a drawing class with Sherrie McGraw. She wrote one of my favorite books, The Language of Drawing. I love her work and I'm excited to be drawing for a whole week and away from the remnants of moving chaos. The class is being held at Studio Incamminati.

Ironically, Sherrie is from Taos, but the two local art schools where she would have taught have closed. But there's another reason why I'm excited to take this class in Philadelphia. When I was 24 I was accepted into the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. In my interview I declared "I know in my heart that I'm a painter, and I know that at fifty I will be a painter. I know that if I don't pursue this now I will regret it then. So I might as well do it now." And I got in. But I couldn't afford it. So I didn't go. I'm giving myself this gift of a week of art school in Philadelphia, in honor of my 24 year old self, who was right all along.

No comments: