Monday, June 22, 2009

Along Route 66


I had high intentions of doing enough drawings to post ahead while I was gone, but I quickly realized that was not going to happen. I am drawing this week though, so it still counts, and will post them when I return because I don't like traveling with my computer.

For your viewing pleasure, Louie and I hopped into the car and I took photos of the fabulous old signs left along Central Avenue in Albuquerque, old Route 66. To me these signs are works of art, and I'd always meant to photograph them. Some of these places are still thriving, while others are abandoned. It's only a matter of time until the old signs disappear altogether.

I have a fascination with Route 66 and have had the great luck to drive part of what's left of the old road from Oklahoma to Arizona. The interstate killed the famous route and if you take the time to explore off the highway you can find ghost towns. It's strange to see ghost towns of happy things like diners and motels with kidney shaped pools.

No comments: