Sunday, May 24, 2009

Salinas valley pueblos


Today was one of those unexpected mystical days. Louie and I set out to the mountains for breakfast and a short hike. One road led to another and we found ourselves at the ancient pueblo ruins of Quarai. In one of the high black windows near the altar there was a huge owl watching us.

The scent of wild roses filled the air along the trail surrounding the pueblo. As we walked I noticed my mind repeating "I hope we don't see a snake, I hope we don't see a snake". I suddenly remembered the law of attraction, The Secret, and the like. The idea that the Universe doesn't hear the word "Don't" and could only hear me saying "I hope we see a snake". I quickly changed my mind's mantra to "I want to see a beautiful flower" when BAM! An enormous bull snake lay on the path.

After I bolted I was able to observe something from my brain studies. My primitive brain noticed that snake before my conscious mind did. I remember bolting at the speed of light before I really knew why. As I was running I felt my conscious mind spell out S-N-A-K-E, then I heard the word SNAKE, then I saw the image of a snake in my mind, then turned around to see that that was indeed why I was running. Luckily bull snakes, while intimidating, are not poisonous.

Our day took us deeper into southern New Mexico, exploring old ruins neither of us had heard of. The water jug is from the pueblo of Gran Quivira. Lunch was in Mountainair, among cowboys who, arriving for brunch after church, hung their hats on the Texas longhorn mounted over the door.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a magical day - thanks for taking me along.
Miss you....Ilira