Saturday, May 16, 2009

Colores de Oaxaca


Not a spare second to draw today so I'm posting a sketchbook page of the colors I found on the rooftop garden of the Hotel Azucenas in amazing Oaxaca, Mexico. I went to Oaxaca last year at this time, just a week after taking Carol Marine's daily painting class. I rather timidly brought a sketchbook along in my determination to keep up the practice despite traveling. Why timidly? There's something scary about approaching that which you truly desire. A fear that you're going to screw things up, be exposed as a fraud, or simply be disappointed. I think a lot of people have that fear of delving into the arts, that's why most people don't do it. And artists are not exempt. I guess as an artist I often feel like I approach my subject the same way an awkward teenage boy tries to approach his first crush. At best, hoping it's a wild success, at the least, praying you don't humiliate yourself.

I learned so much from capturing the colors on the rooftop garden. I discovered that colors have a lot more gray in them than you'd think. The best way to capture that is to use layers, especially the compliment of the dominant color you're trying to capture.

No comments: