Friday, October 3, 2008

Spine, in color


I brought this topic up because, lately, I've really had to reflect on the spine of my blog. I've been feeling more and more frustrated by exams and papers competing with the small amount of drawing time I have allotted. It feels like I'm trying to protect my little igloo in the middle of an avalanche.

When I started this blog I wondered what might come from drawing and painting as a daily practice. What I've discovered is that it's where I want to spend the majority of my time, not the minority. But that can't happen right now. Each drawing I do, I learn from, and I want to apply that learning right away. The two spines I drew felt like a warm up, it wasn't until after doing them that I began to really see. But as soon as I began to see, I had to stop.

So, in order not to throw my hands up in a fit of frustration, I've had to remind myself to return to the spine. That spine, as stated in my very first post, is to make art despite the obstacles. That doesn't mean doing the best drawing I could possibly do, it means doing the best drawing I can do in 20 minutes while exhausted and stressed. It is not to spend hours drawing, choosing to post the best piece of the day (Oh, how I wish it were), it is drawing something and posting it right away, whether I like it or not.

Returning to the spine can help you breathe again. It can guide you back home when you find yourself hanging too far off the infinite possibilities of creativity's many branches.

No comments: