Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Kurashiki sweets


Click here to bid

I wanted to try painting the sweets in gouache, but couldn't quite catch the sugary quality, so I added colored pencil. The sugar on these sweets reminds me of the sparkling Inland Sea. The ocean on that side of Japan is so calm and glittery compared to the choppy intensity of the Sea of Japan, where I lived on Oki.

When I stayed in Kurashiki I took the ferry across the Inland Sea to Naoshima to see the Benesse house and Chichu art museum. I wanted to see Yayoi Kusama's famous pumpkin on the dock. "Pumpkin, in front of, stop, please?" I told the bus driver in broken Japanese.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anne, the icho leaf and the momiji leaf gives me the feeling of autumn. I can taste these sweets in my imagination... Yum!