Friday, June 1, 2012

To Etla






Deborah and Cheryl told me about the Center for the Arts in Etla, and that I should go see the textile exhibit there. It was raining heavily when I hired a taxi driver, Salómon, to take me to Etla for the day. As we dodged fallen palm fronds and disintegrating dirt roads, our conversation turned toward my forthcoming profession as an occupational therapist. Salómon was very concerned about my internship in Los Angeles, that there would be many Spanish speakers there. So, as he drove, he taught me Spanish phrases a therapist might need. Muevelo a la derecha (move to the right), encogelo los dedos (close the fingers), doble el codo (bend your elbow), te duele aqui? (does it hurt here?), te sientes mejor? (do you feel better?).

Despite Salómon's earnest investment, I often forget these phrases in moments of panic. I have to admit to one time, in desperation, shouting "Rollo! Rollo!" to a patient to get him to roll side to side in bed so I could pull up his pants.

No comments: