Monday, November 17, 2008

Kitchen skylights


For a while now I've been hearing pigeons on the roof, around the kitchen skylights. There was a lot of clucking and rustling going on and I realized they must be building a nest. The more activity I heard, the bigger the nest became in my mind. Soon enough, with each cluck and rustle, I pictured a village of nests and started to worry that their feathers and bits of straw would plug up a vent and start a fire. Louie worried that their droppings would corrode the roof. This can't be happening, we have a house to sell!

Finally, Louie's son Jeremy came over with a ladder and the two of them climbed on the roof to destroy the pigeon empire. But they found nothing. No nest, not even a feather. The pigeons had simply been stopping by on their way to somewhere else.

This reminds me of what goes on in the mind. How each small cluck and rustle of thoughts can knit together to become a big fear of something that may not even exist. Maybe those thoughts weren't for you anyway, and were just stopping by on their way to somewhere else.

No comments: