Friday, November 16, 2012

Lift Off






























On our last morning of class we learned that Dr. John Upledger, who developed craniosacral therapy and whose work I was studying at Esalen, passed away the night before after a long illness. Both Gabrielle Roth and Dr. Upledger were pioneers in exploring the energy, waves, patterns, and rhythms  of the body. A dance of inner worlds and outer worlds whose transformative powers can only be felt by being present.

What must it have been like for them to feel something that was uncharted and go forth with that curiosity? How lonely and exciting it must have been. In the five days I was at Esalen, two of my most influential teachers ended their human journey. One who was an entry point, from whom I first heard of Esalen, and one whose work I was studying now. A full circle of sorts, with me in the middle. How strange that I was there at that very moment, in the most Western edge of the country where land turns to sea, for lift off.

No comments: