Thursday, March 29, 2012

Foote Street Farmstand





Sun tea, blue glass. My friend Lauren ran a beautiful farm stand for a few years, before moving on to other projects, and if you got to experience it in that time, you were lucky. I loved sitting on a wooden stool in the sun on cool summer mornings with hot chocolate and a homemade muffin. Lauren's cooking and sense of beauty is what is right with the world.

In this time where I'm under so much stress from trying to help people who are sick from being under so much stress, it's what I long for.
Time to cook, and time to grow things to cook, it's a sign of wellness that I hold as a baseline, something I'm working to return to.

Recently, on a trip to Taos, I came across a "Whole Earth Catalog" from 1975 at a used book store. I was flooded with memories of long afternoons
curled up next to the wood stove on our old blanket covered couch, lost in that catalog. There were only addresses to write away to for information, there were not even phone numbers. I remember the deep intrigue I felt as a kid, seeing those addresses from far away and mysterious places like Iowa, Alabama, and Northern California.

In these days of instant information, clicking and getting, and phones without cords, it's hard to imagine how we had the patience to wait for what we wanted. Yet, back in the days when we had to wait, it felt like there was more time.

No comments: