Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Lure


I had a cancellation this morning which gave me the opportunity to do a longer drawing. I bought this lure at an antique shop about six weeks ago when I took $30 to try to stimulate the economy and do a short series called "Antique shop, and a thought". Where did the time go?

There's a lot of really great neon in Albuquerque and each evening there's a perfect moment after the sun has set, but before the sky is dark, where the neon really glows. That's what I love about using colored pencils over gouache. They take on a subtle but glowing quality. But there's also a voice, and it is annoying. As in every aspect of life, the art world has its hierarchies, politics, myths and beliefs. And every artist knows it. You are trying to carve out your little moment of joy with color and texture and you hear the voice. "You know, if you could really paint, you wouldn't have to draw over it" or "You do know that works on paper aren't as valuable as oils, right?"

The voice, if you're not aware of it, can send you careening into complete fear for your own survival. It's easy to believe that thoughts are The Truth, rather than just thoughts. I often have to remind myself to identify with the vast ocean and not get lured into the sharp hooks of negative thought.

No comments: