Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Fifty-Six




















This was a fascinating pose to draw because my mind got confused, I kept wanting to turn my head sideways in order to draw the head from a familiar position. Since I couldn't do that, and could only draw what was right in front of me -light, shapes, angles -there is a quality about this face that makes it one of my best yet. I've often read what Sherrie McGraw wrote, below, but with this drawing I could better understand what she meant.

Painting and drawing are simple, but there is a reason that in practice they are not easy. There is the small matter of our own minds. This is the real hurdle that is not broached often enough. Every brushstroke and line we make is filtered through our own perceptions, prejudices, and emotional resistance to change.

No comments: